“‘I can see how social media will work for <fill in the blank … a company not like mine>, but it certainly won’t work for MY type of business!’ I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a business owner express this, hoping that I’ll agree with him or her“, said Social Media Strategist Caroline Melberg. “The fact of the matter is, there are very few businesses that social media won’t work for. When you are marketing your business today, you need to place yourself where your potential customers are spending the most time.”
Today the reality is, your potential customer is spending time on social media.
Consider these social media stats:
- In the US, there are now over 149M active Facebook users. 70% log in once a day. The average Facebook user logs on 3 times each day for 19 minutes each session. – Ogilvy & BuddyMedia
- Social media accounts for 25% of all time spent online - over 35 minutes per hour – Nielsen
According to a recent Universal McCann study:
- 71% of social media participants say they are more likely to purchase from a brand they follow online
- 66% of social media participants note that participation with brands online has made them more loyal to those brands
- 63% of social media participants state that they will recommend these brands to their friends and associates
- Ford’s 2011 Explorer launch on Facebook generated a 200% greater return than a Super Bowl ad.
With facts like these, how can your business afford NOT to be strategically using social media?